Because it's not enough to just get the mohawk, you gotta have some color

Look at the size of them nuts. Black walnuts

Grace is excited about having all of those awesome looking shells to make animals out of. Black walnuts are the best of them all. I love how the ink stains my fingers. It looked like I killed a demon and had his blood on my hands for a few days. It looks really cool jammin on the guitar with demon fingers. Everyone thinks Im crazy for not just buying them in the store. I don't care, I want to be able to feed these kids without depending on anything. Foraging is just one way to do it.

This tree is the motherload. We got 4 buckets of nuts last time, and will be headed back in a couple days to get probably just as many. They look like tennis balls. Getting the nut out of the husk is fun. I line them up a bucket at a time under all 4 tires of the truck, and run over them 3 or 4 times, then put them in a bucket with gravel and water and stir it all up for about 10 min with a mortar mixer bit in my bigass drill to get all the remnants of husk off. It cleans them up quick. I can process a bucket in 30 minutes.
5 comments:
Grace: art is everywhere!! And you definitely have the gift of finding it. What a talented lady you are.
Jack: Nice choice in hair color. I bet no one messes with you with that hair.
Trav: I killed a demon once and the stains are STILL on my hands and my soul. I LOOOOVE your cracking method. Very inventive. You should put a patent on that process. You demon killin' nut crackin' fool:)
I think that demon you killed is now possessing Ian's body. I would LOVE to see a video tutorial on how to crack some black nuts! Is Jack's hair really that color, or was a temporary thing? I love Grace's creation. She's got the Lorna eye for potential art.
Grace: Putting your nature art back into nature for others to enjoy is fun too! Hang them from trees that line the streets through town!
Jack: I LOVE dying my hair too! I did orange last time, I think next time I want to do purple (its my favorite color)! What do you think? Is blue your favorite color?
Trav: I wanna help kill demons! And I could help run over buckets with my Jeep!
Sounds like y'all have fun foraging, kids gota love it, lots better than the ol' buy it off the shelf. That is a massive tree. Grace you would love the driftwood that I have been collecting. Tried to save some inch wide discard metal, probably couple hundred feet left over from the house paint project but no, PawPaw and cousin Scout hauled it off!! I know that it would have made some great art. Oh well. Like your art Grace-bright cheerful looking little critter Jack you look wild.
Grace is going to need to rent a shop somewhere for her gallery and upcoming projects. I love the nutty story. Wow! You should make some homemade black walnut ice cream. Your stained hands are just in time for Halloween, they are perfect. I love Jacks blue hair. He is sooo lucky! He's gotta be the coolest kid at school and football.
Post a Comment